UK ETS Confirmed
On 14 December 2020, government confirmed that a new UK Emissions Trading Scheme (UK ETS) will replace the EU ETS from 1 January 2021.
What does this mean to the end user?
- The scheme will apply to emitters that previously participated in the EU ETS
- BEIS is beginning to publish guidance for operators
- So far it has focussed on aircraft operators and what they must do to apply for the emissions monitoring plan (EMP) that the UK ETS requires
- The guidance states ‘You do not need to apply for an EMP if you are already regulated by the UK under the EU ETS’
- End users that participate in the EU ETS should monitor their new obligations and must still comply with their 2020 EU ETS obligations
Guidance for aircraft operators is available here and the information on EMPs is available here. The Welsh Government confirmed that as yet there in no decision on whether the UK ETS will be linked to the EU ETS, here. The legislation enacting the UK ETS is available here.